Firearm Safety Rules
These four Cardinal Firearm Safety Rules should be memorized and understood by everyone with access to firearms. We review these firearm safety rules prior to every class … novice as well as advanced programs.
- Always treat all firearms as if they were loaded.
- Never allow the muzzle of any firearm to point at anything you are not willing to destroy.
- Never put your finger on the trigger unless the Three Conditions have been met. Keep your finger on a tactile spot on the frame.
- Always be sure of the target, and what is behind and in front of it.
The Three Conditions telling us the trigger is fair game.
- The target is safe and available.
- It is legal and moral to engage the target.
- You have made a conscious decision to fire.
If any of the conditions change, reassess and de-escalate moving your finger back to the tactile spot on the frame